Tuesday 26 July 2016

3 Unconventional lessons that I have learnt from university


University is such a large part of anyone's life, and as a person who has not only completed my undergraduate degree but gone back for more I feel as though I have experienced a spectrum of emotions attached to both studying away or living at home. So here, I have written them down for your entertainment.

My actual university library | Maughan Library, Chancery Lane




1. The library will become your worst enemy and your best friend
Those idiots using all the computers to watch friends, those taking no screaming at each othr will grate on you horrendously, alongside the fact that you actually have to do work, will make the stuffy, always cramped, stale smelling library feel like hell on earth. But, after you have sworn off ever entering that building that never has the book you want, you pledge to do all your work in your university prison-esque room (or childhood room). However, then the only human contact you have is occasionally nodding at your roommates (or family) when making your one-hundredth cup of coffee of the day and feel like an absolute recluse. So then you suddenly have fond memories of working in a library, and seeing people you actually now. Thus the vicious circle of pain is born.

2. You will hate your degree with a passion
Why am I doing this? Will this even get me a job? A dissertation, but I HATE this subject? Yes this was me second year of my undergrad, and first few months of my masters. Every piece of work will become an epic. This will feel like an existential crisis, and you feel genuine passion for the younger, version of you who decided to pick this stupid degree. Pure modern history doesn't have an exam, history what is the point anyway especially as I don't want to be a teacher or historian. These feelings will pass when something in you snaps and everything in your life barely feels real anymore.

3. By your final year you will crave a night out
After your foolish first year, and your slightly more sensible, but totally reckless at the same time, second year, third year hits everyone like a ton of bricks. So by the time you are three-quarters of your way through your dissertation, and can hear the misguided youth on their way to da'club, you will enter the f**k it zone, and rally as many people as you can for an impromptu night out, only dragging on your only clean dress and put on an extra layer of mascara and scarlet red lipstick. Its okay though because the three months you have spent working and not drinking has really messed with your alcohol tolerance and you can get pretty drunk after a couple of Aldi-Malibu and Juice concoctions.

I hope you have enjoyed this different sort of a post. Can you relate to any of these or is it just me?


post signature

Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

0 comments:

Post a Comment