Saturday 1 October 2016

October goals


So as autumn is creeping into England causing the air to freshen up and crispin, I’ve decided to compile some autumn goals for both my blog and life in general.


I always see the autumn as a fresh start. Whether it be starting a school year or beginning at university there is something beautiful in the promise of a fresh start. A chance to reinvent yourself, renew, refresh, do better than you ever have, meet new people, start new adventures. Although I have finished my academic life, I have just started a job which seemingly confirms my desire to make the months between September and December a chance to reflect and refresh, to make things better than they have been in the past. I am an avid believer in if you write something down, you are more likely to achieve it, so here I go, a somewhat modest list of what I hope to achieve this month.

Become healthier
Yes I know, can you get any more stereotypical? But for me this encompasses not only exercising and eating better, but a healthier mindset and attitude towards everything. I am a worrier, I worry about everything. Heck I even worry about worrying or not worrying. This is a continual life goal of mine, and you know what, I am starting to kick butt with this one. I genuinely feel like a more positive person all round, which is only a good thing in my eyes.

Onto the physical side of things. I let some weight creep on whilst I was on holiday, so I hope to loose that (and more), although I still am a stone lighter than I was last year so I must keep this in mind. 

I also really want to start swimming again, weekly at first. I love swimming, its both physically good for me, and mentally. When I’m swimming my mind goes blank and all my stresses simply wash away. This is rare, my brain is always at 1000mph, racing through every thought of what has been and what might be, to switch this off for even an hour is beautiful and I look forward to actively achieving this.

Another vein of this goal is to start eating lunch at lunch time. It is ridiculous. At work I let the hours creep away and ‘forget’ to eat lunch until between 3 and 5 o’clock, if at all. As someone who suffers from the tragic illness of becoming ‘h-angry’ I need to stop doing this ASAP, starting Monday. I also believe setting ten or so minutes from my day to eat something and look away from my laptop will be amazing for my eyes (well I also need to start wearing my glasses, but moving along).

Read more
After struggling with a lot of things for the past few years, it felt like the ‘fun’ parts of my life where I did tasks simply because I liked to do so, and all my hobbies were lost. I lost a huge part of my personality through this simple disinterest in anything. But I have started reading again, and I wish to do so more. I am currently reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King, and it is a beast of a book compared to the short ‘summer reads’ I read on holiday. I am going to stick to it and read a bunch more books off of my ‘to read’ list.

Establish a work life balance so I can live for now
This is another thing I have been a whole lot of crap at. As I am a worrier, I worry about ‘if I go out I will be too tired for work’ ect ect. This is simply ridiculous. I get one life, and as my mum is always telling me, I shouldn’t be wishing it away. As a student the majority of my life I have always been wishing my life away, waiting for exams to be over, waiting for summer, waiting to start university, waiting to finish university, waiting to start my masters, waiting to get a job, So what have I spent the last 18 years doing then? Waiting. 

Although when you are in a long distance relationship, it does always feel like you are on a countdown clock, we currently have no trips planned (I know, its breaking my heart) so I am off the countdown at the moment, and can bring an element of spontaneity to our visits. Lets hope this attitude continues, for the sake of my mental health.


Go on more adventures
As I have already emphasised, I am a worrier. Therefore, I tend to lock myself away from the world and the only place I tend to venture is the kitchen. However, I also have a massive desire to travel to wherever I physically can. Although money is (very) tight at the moment, I have so many places in the UK that I would like to visit. I have never been to Scotland, Wales or Ireland and have many other places within England that I would like to visit. 9/10 of these places are easily accessible by train. So no excuses, I need to do more traveling.

I do feel like all of these goals merge into one major goal of trying to improve my mental health, but oh well. There is no real ‘timeline’ on these either, I hope these are a continual thing that become part of my life naturally. Lets see how well/crap I do.

What are your goals this October, or this Autumn in general? I would love to know.


Until next time,
post signature

Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

0 comments:

Post a Comment