Tuesday 15 December 2015

Balancing Uni Work Over Christmas | Blogmas day 3

Welcome to my 3rd day of the Twelve Days of Blogmas!

A slightly less cheery one today I'm afraid, but I don think its an important discussion to be having this time of year. (Don't worry tomorrows will be full on CHRISTMAS)



So it's December, which can mean one of two things to people, firstly 'It's almost Christmas yay!' or the dreaded 'How much work?!? How is this even humanly possible even though I'm not at Uni for a month I have about five months worth of work to do ahhhhhh!'. For the past four years I have found myself in the latter.

Universities love to place all essays. assignments or finals as they are often know at this time of year within weeks of one another, and like the amazing student you are, you promised yourself to do all your work within lots of time and never have to stress about a deadline again. But because you are a human, life happened and now you are in the sorry mess of having a list as long as your arm to complete before January. So rather than watch a film with your family on Christmas Eve, you find yourself researching an essay (yes, this was me last year) that has a bizarre deadline like January the 2nd, I do really have this deadline this year.

Okay, so now I have made you really stressed, and if by some miracle you haven't clicked off yet, comes some advice and a pep talk molded by 'been there done that's'.

1) Its okay to feel overwhelmed
You are not alone in this, I promise. Everyone (minus the weird organized people of the world) feel the same way about deadlines, no matter how long you know about them they still managed to cause you more stress than everything else. Just listen to this message: You are not alone!

2) Having a day off does not make you a bad person
This goes for all year round but needs saying none the less, going to meet your friends for a coffee/dinner/anything does not make you a bad student or a bad person. EVERYONE needs down time, whether this is a day you go Christmas shopping with your mum or leave your evenings to watch films and drink hot chocolate. This time off will make your work better not harm it, so stop making yourself feel so bad all the time.

3) Have a break
Leading on from the last one but I do think it's the most important of this list give yourself at least a week off and NEVER work on Christmas day. I say a week but ideally minimum of two. I have learned this the hard way, trust me. I did not give myself a break over Christmas last year which meant I worked solidly from around December untill May, this is not healthy and will really make you burn out quickly. So this year from the 18th of December for two weeks I am not doing one piece of uni work.

I really hope I helped you in some way, feel free to comment below or vent to me on social media about deadlines, I feel your pain. 

See you tomorrow for a really Christmassy post!

post signature
Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

0 comments:

Post a Comment